“God places the lonely in families.” Psalm 68:6

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

WORDS

I just got home from working out. I always see the same women at this 5:30 AM class I go to, as we've been exercising together for quite awhile now. AND, I think they all know our family is expanding in the form of adoption. Maybe it's just because I heard a message/sermon on WORDS last night, and how much power our words have on other people, but I couldn't help but hear these words as some women were chit chatting...

"I think she has several real kids, and then also adopted a few."

It's just the beginning, I know.
I jokingly say that the rude/awkward comments and stares our family received when Griffin had to wear a molding helmet, to shape his head, would prepare me for the floundering comments and questions that await me in the adoption process. :)

I don't think I'm quite ready for all of that. I am a defensive person. In fact, talking with Ryan last night about marriage, life, death...the whole 9 yards...reminded me again that I'm a defensive person. Sooooo, I am realizing this morning that I have to pray for a softened heart to many of the strangers who will say/ask things about the adoption process that might come off, incognito to them, rather curt.

I read a story the other day of an adoptive mother whose son was taken by security while they were walking through a museum. The guards responded to their inquiries with a comment that "they didn't know he "belonged" to anyone because he was dark skinned, they were not, and no one in the room looked like him." Gulp...

So, I guess, herein begins a new journey with words.
Praying for grace in our hearts, and for God to prepare us for the differences in parenting (and questions we will receive) that await us! YES! Excited to know and love this child someday, up close! Excited to, with a large smile, introduce museum guards or fellow exercise buddies, to OUR SON.

No comments:

Post a Comment