“God places the lonely in families.” Psalm 68:6

Saturday, November 17, 2012

Dreams that DO come true??

Disney World. That's where we are. So very thankful my parents had this idea to all come here as a family together. So grateful to them for this opportunity. Fully aware at the cliche line that this is, but..."it's been magical." Our kids have never been more excited for the next turn to go around, the next line to stand in, the next princess they might bump into...or, the next bed to sleep in!




Everything just seems easy at Disney. People are smiling (maybe it's the funnel cake in their hands?),  folks are happy, and everyone seems to enjoy spending time together as a family. I would beg to differ that Disney = "vacation" for the parents though!! As fun as it is, my bedtime has been earlier this week than when I was in elementary school!

While walking Main Street USA in good ol' Magic Kingdom (in addition to other parks), we have indeed seen many trans racial families with adopted children. It has made me smile every time we walk by. Yesterday, a little Caucasian 4 year old girl had her arm around her Ethiopian brother for a picture, about the same age as her. They looked so happy in front of Nemo and Dory and I got the chills thinking about my kids with their arms wrapped around their brother.
Honestly, it looked normal, to me...
It was fitting.
Other passersby smiled at the scene as well.
But is that scene really Main Street USA?

I had a dream last night while I was sleeping. In it, I was telling friends about the numerous trans racial families we saw in Disney. As I was excitedly sharing my story with them, one of my buddies said to me, "Libby, please stop talking about this," as one of her acquaintances had joined the group. I asked why and she said I was making people feel uncomfortable because I was talking about adoption and different looking families. My response, "Well, it sure will get REALLY uncomfortable for people when I have my son standing next to me then." And I kept talking.

I woke up with tears in my eyes because the reality is that my dream last night may indeed come true. I will have conversations like that with people. They will be hard and they might make my blood boil a bit. Main St USA won't look the same for our family as it does for others.

But we will always have an awesome opportunity to show the world that we adopt because we only have one life to live. We adopt because God has adopted us into his family, and it has changed us. So, even if that dream last night DOES come true, I'm okay with it.

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to meet that little dude!

    " We adopt because God has adopted us into his family, and it has changed us."

    good word.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Libby, just found your blog! I can relate to what you're saying, yes my blood does boil sometimes with the questions about our family. It is hard to be gracious sometimes for sure. I try to use each opportunity to spread the word about adoption, dispel myths and maybe encourage someone to think differently. You are in for an exciting journey!!

    ReplyDelete